Sunday, May 31, 2009

A couple weeks ago we went to Kansas City Missouri. You might be asking yourself why would they want to go to "misery" what could possibly there. The answer is not much! Nephi was born in Missouri and his grandparents and all his aunts and uncles live there. My father-in-law was going out there to visit his family and Nephi thought it was a good opportunity for us to go since he had not seen his grandparents in a very long time. I decided to take the supportive wife role, even though I could have thought of a million other places I would rather buy plane tickets too and celebrate my graduation! Overall it was a lot of fun, just got real bored towards the end because his grandparents didn't get out much and we didn't have a car. One thing I loved about Missouri was how green it was. I couldn't get over all the trees and green everywhere, but that is about the only thing it has on Utah. I don't know how anyone could find their way around in a state with no mountains, I know i couldn't. Here are some of the things that we did:
1. definitely the highlight of my trip...i got to see my bro kevies on his mission. i know right!? i was stoked to see him and i am not gonna lie a little nervous. of course my fam was way jealous. we got to take him and his companion(s) yes he has two for the time being, out to lunch at applebees. kevies is such a stud and an awesome, focused missionary.how precious!

it was weird to see him looking kinda geeky which is to be expected but it was still funny!

kevies with his companions

2. went to liberty jail in independence. this was so sweet and i felt the spirit so strong. it was overwhelming to hear what they went through and know i was standing where they had endured such hardship. i am amazed by their faith

The front door of the jail

real life depiction of the men and the limited space they had...humbling

3. went to the church's visitors center and across the street to the community of christ temple

Nephi sitting in a typical pioneer home, everything seemed so real


community of christ temple-this was the coolest/creepiest/weirdest building i have ever been in. they use to be the RLDS so we thought it would be at least similar to our church but not at all. they have completely lost any resemblance to our church. there were pictures in there of women giving priesthood blessings and being apostles of their church. weird stuff...but interesting!

4. Seeing the sights in Kansas City: WW1 Museum, Negro League Baseball Museum, Kansas City skyline, and a Royals baseball game
we went to this crazy underground war museum with more world war 1 stuff than i thought possible. it was cool but would have been enjoyed more by a history buff unlike me. below is a picture of the huge memorial they have there. phi took an elevator ride to the top but of course that did not appeal to me at all!
we also went to the negro league baseball museum which was pretty cool. i wish my dad could have been there he would have been in heaven
kansas city skyline

short version of the kansas city royals game= 2.5 hour rain delay.first pitch at 9:45 pm. frozen.soaked.fun

2 comments:

Kelly said...

bet it was awes to see kev i miss him!! looks like you guys saw lots of cool stuff

Laura said...

Kev looks so cute and dorky!! I love it!
Guess what? I was looking at the picture of him and his companions, and realized that the middle Elder, (Elder Thorne) is my best friend Carly's little brother. Crazy! Small world!